Dozens of higher-ed construction projects in new capital budget
More than three-quarters of a billion dollars became available for higher education capital projects thanks to enactment of the AGC-backed 2015-1017 state capital-budget bill. As reported previously in AGC Works the measure includes nearly $4 billion in total funding about $500 million more than the previous biennium.
While most of the news about the bill focused on the big boost it provides for K-12 education projects it’s important that contractors also be aware of the significant opportunities now available among higher-education capital-construction projects.
Among the big-ticket items are:
• $47 million for the College Instruction Center at Olympia College;
• $32 million for the Student Services facility at Centralia Community College;
• $64 million for the Carver Academic facility renovation project at Western Washington University (photo);
• $56 million for the Samuelson Communication and Technology Center at Central Washington University;
• $55 million for WSU’s Everett University Center;
• $26 million for the new Burke Museum at UW;
• $15 million for Renton Technical College’s Automotive Complex renovation project.
The legislation also funds many smaller projects such as:
• $3 million for a science lab renovation at Evergreen State College;
• $4 million for the UW’s School of Nursing Simulation Learning Lab;
• $5 million for Eastern Washington University’s University Science Center.
Click here for a summary of the bill and the complete list of projects funded by it.