Seven transportation construction projects were honored for administrative or environmental excellence by WSDOT and AGC of Washington. Awards were presented by WSDOT Secretary Paula Hammond at the WSDOT/AGC annual meeting January 5 2011 in Fircrest WA.
Five projects were selected as winners of 2010 Partnership for Excellence in Contract Administration. Awards were presented to the administrative team including the construction firm its project manager and the WSDOT project engineers. The administrative teams were honored for delivering transportation projects in a timely professional and responsive manner while also considering the needs of others who are affected by the project. A panel of judges based their selections on the following criteria: customer-focused administration innovative problem solving the overcoming of extraordinary challenges effective contract administration timely completion of the project and safety. WSDOT Chief Engineer Jerry Lenzi and AGC Public Works Commitee Chair Bob Adams of Atkinson Construction presented the awards.
In addition two projects received Partnership for Environmental Excellence in Construction Management Awards. The projects were chosen according to criteria including innovation extraordinary response and collaboration. Megan White WSDOTs Director of Environmental Services presented the awards.
The Excellence in Contract Administration winning projects are:
Category: Eastern WA Projects Less than $3 million
• Eastern Region Bridge Deck Repair. Contractor: West Company Inc. Project Manager: Nate McKinley. WSDOT Project Engineer: Chad Simonson.
Category: Eastern WA Projects Greater than $10 million
• SR 285 George Sellers Bridge – Additional East Bound Lane. Contractor: Max J. Kuney Co. Project Manager: Kevin Carrol. WSDOT Project Engineer: Kevin Waligorski.
Category: Western WA Projects Less than $3 million
• Lake Washington Floating Bridge Anchor Cable Replacement. Contractor: General Construction Co. Project Manager: Brian Masten and Justin Strong. WSDOT Project Engineer: John Chi.
Category: Western WA Projects $3-10 million
• Green River Bridge Embankment Failure. Contractor: Scarsella Brothers Inc. WSDOT Project Engineer: Aleta Borschowa.
Category: Western WA Projects Greater than $10 million
• SR 522 UW Bothell/Cascadia South Access. Contractor: Mowat Construction Co. Project Manager: Ryan Thorne. WSDOT Project Engineer: Janice Fahning.
The Partnership for Environmental Excellence in Construction Management winners are:
Western Washington Award Winner
• I-405 I-5 to SR 169 Widening & SR 515 I/C Stage 2. Contractor: I-405 Corridor Design Builders (Joint Venture: CH2M Hill & Gary Merlino Construction Co.). Project Manager: Kory Veldman. WSDOT: Lisa Hodgsons PE Office.
Eastern Washington Award Winner
• US 97A Wildlife Fencing Stage 2. Contractor: RM Shearer Inc. Project Manager: Rod Shearer. WSDOT: Kevin Waligorskis PE Office.
Photo: Kuneys Kevin Carrol and WSDOT PE Kevin Waligorski receive their Excellence in Contract Administration awards.