2008 President's Review: AGC Membership More Valuable Than Ever
Member value has always been the ultimate goal of AGC - to provide effective innovative programs that benefit of our members their companies and the construction industry. As President in 2008 I witnessed firsthand how AGC staff and members work together to enhance member value.
The AGC staff is dedicated to help your company succeed. They have a passion for the industry actively involve members in addressing key issues and have a bias for action. When you combine an outstanding staff with a committed and involved membership great things happen. Members contribute countless hours to committees task forces and new initiatives all with the intent of improving our industry and the influence of AGC.
In 2008 much was accomplished that strengthened AGC.
• David DHondt was chosen as the new Executive Vice President by a selection committee staffed by members from each district. David spent much of his early efforts meeting with members to hear about their issues and needs.
• The Board clarified our strategic priorities with a clear focus on strengthening government influence improving member value and expanding workforce development efforts.
• We strengthened and expanded our legislative affairs resources to improve our ability to promote construction projects and enhance our ability to do business profitably. We also expanded BUILD PAC fundraising efforts so we can support pro-construction candidates and be heard on critical ballot measures.
• Communication efforts were expanded with the addition of Cornerstone Magazine improvements to make our website more member friendly and more press outreach to clearly describe AGCs position on important issues.
• The Board worked hard to ensure that AGC expenditures reflect member priorities and to improve the transparency of our operations.
• A new Future Leaders Forum was launched and gained impressive momentum. Up and coming leaders took charge of creating educational career development and networking opportunities. This Forum provides a great training ground and will enhance the success of member companies and AGC in the years ahead. A representative of this impressive group was added to the 2009 Board of Trustees.
• Our Retro program created the largest member refunds in history with members benefitting to the tune of $34 million in premium refunds.
• AGCs Safety Team grew helping member companies improve their safety tools and performance.
• The AGC Education Foundation expanded learning opportunities across the state and effectively promoted construction as an exciting career option.
There were many wins in 2008 but perhaps the most encouraging news is that even in this uncertain time AGC members clearly see the value of their membership. Renewal rates for 2009 are on par with 2008. You can expect that AGC will continue to provide an outstanding return on your investment. Thank you for your continued support and efforts on behalf of AGC. Best wishes for a successful 2009.