Associated General Contractors of Washington (AGC of Washington) dates back to 1922 just four years after the establishment of Associated General Contractors of America (AGCA). This makes the organization the state's largest and oldest commercial industry trade association. AGC of Washington began as the Seattle Chapter AGC. In later years, the Tacoma Chapter AGC, the Mountain Pacific Chapter AGC and the Northwest Construction Council eventually merged to form AGC of Washington in 1986. Today, AGC of Washington is a leading chapter among the 96 chapters nationally affiliated with AGC of America, which is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia.

AGC of Washington has over 600 member firms in the categories of general contractors, specialty contractors and associates, which include suppliers and other construction service providers. AGC of Washington is headquartered in Seattle, at a well-known site on South Lake Union. The AGC-owned property includes an office building, marina and parking facilities. The organization includes district offices in Fife, Bellingham and Yakima, as well as a Legislative office and a Group Retro office in Olympia.

Key dates in the organization's history:

1922
Seattle Chapter, Associated General Contractors of America, is formed for all contractors (later changed to Seattle Northwest Chapter).

1925
Northwest Construction Council formed for subcontractor and associate members.

1927
Heavy/highway contractors break away and form a separate organization not affiliated with AGC of America.

1930
Mountain Pacific Chapter, Associated General Contractors of America, is formed for heavy/highway contractors.

1945
Tacoma Chapter, Associated General Contractors of America, is formed for all contractors in Pierce and Thurston County areas.

1970
Seattle Northwest and Mountain Pacific chapters purchase land on Lake Union and agree to build.

1973
Seattle Northwest and Mountain Pacific chapters merge, forming the Seattle Chapter.

1980
AGC Education Foundation is established.

1981
Seattle Chapter opens a legislative office in Olympia.

1983
Northwest Construction Council is dissolved. Seattle Chapter opens to affiliate memberships.

1986
Seattle and Tacoma chapters consolidate into AGC of Washington. Tacoma facility remains open as a district office.

1990
AGC of Washington opens a district office in Bellingham.

1991
AGC Group Retro is established.

1993
AGC of Washington opens a district office in Yakima.

1997
AGC of Washington celebrates its 75th anniversary.

1998
AGC of Washington through Task Force 21 develops new mission and vision statements.

1999
AGC of Washington adopts a five-year strategic plan.

2004
AGC of Washington adopts new five-year strategic plan.

2009
AGC of Washington adopts new five-year strategic plan.

2010
AGC redefines its mission and vision statements; the AGC Education Foundation celebrates its thirty-year anniversary; the AGC of Washington Safety Team celebrates twenty years of safety excellence and the Tacoma district office relocates to Fife, Washington.

bookstoreConsensusDOCS
VISIT OUR DISTRICT
OFFICE WEBPAGES

Northern District
(Bellingham)

Southern District
(Fife)

Seattle District

Central District
(Yakima)

 
  


1200 Westlake Avenue N, Suite 301 | Seattle WA 98109
Phone 206.284.0061 | Fax 206.285.4546
Privacy Policy